Most of what I’ll write about will probably be my outdoor activities. I do a fair share of running and hiking; have spent some time on some big mountains, and want to spend more; can handle a good workout in the hills; and particularly like to do things for the photos. However, I haven’t taken too many lately because I’ve wound up in places that so many other people go, I just don’t want to take the same thing again and again. I currently work on the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno. I am the director of the IT department for the School of Medicine.
Prior to this job, I ran NevadaWolfPack.com in terms of design, structure, and a lot of the content. I was in charge of making sure our games were streamed live over the internet, I produced television content from short segments that run during television broadcasts all the way to hour long shows previewing teams and games, and I oversaw the in-stadium video production. I also participated in the planning for overall marketing efforts. I started the job in October 2009 after spending two seasons as the contracted director of the stadium feed for home football games. Before that I was the Interactive Media Manager at the Nevada Commission on Tourism. I got familiar with marketing there by being the in-house video and photo guy, blogger, and sometimes-liaison for the agency with towns around Nevada. Basically, I traveled and did some awesome things that I shot photos and video of, then came back and wrote about. It was all in an effort to promote tourism to all parts of the state. Nevada has some spectacular places and people.
My education consists of a bachelor’s degree in General Studies and a master’s degree in Interactive Journalism. Both are from the University of Nevada. That’s in Reno, which I have called home since 1993.
Other stuff you may care about:
- I used to talk to advertising groups and professional organizations about social media when it was new and hip; now it’s just a reason for me to yell at people
- I taught a media production class to pre-journalism majors at Nevada’s Reynolds School of Journalism before I had to stop due to other work obligations
- I’ve been blogging for a really long time, so poking around the archives will take you down many roads—some are fun, some are boring, some are heady, and some are just plain dumb
- I once won a cool local triathlon
- I love to “discuss” (read: argue about stuff) @jerz in decent places
- I have a newsletter. Subscribe.
- I need an editor
- I’m glad you made it this far